Best Lip Augmentation Procedure
Plump, youthful lips are desirable, however, the natural aging process can leave the lips appearing thin and limp. Skilled cosmetic surgeons can use various techniques to aid in achieving smooth, voluptuous, and natural looking lips.
Lip augmentation or enhancement involves various procedures which can add or restore volume to the lips and improve their overall appearance. While surgical procedures which includes lip implants, continue to be an option, minimally invasive treatments are becoming increasingly popular as they can achieve excellent results which can last for six months to a year.
There are cosmetic treatments available which can improve the appearance of your lips and give you more confidence in your smile. Modifications which can be made through a lip enhancement procedure include the following:
- Enhance the shape of thin or flat lips
- Improve symmetry of the lips
- Restore volume
- Smooth vertical lip lines
Various approaches can be used by the cosmetic surgeon to help improve the appearance of the lips. These procedures range from minimally invasive, temporary filler injections to a more involved lip implant surgery. It is common for patients to opt to start with the less invasive solution and process as needed.
Dermal Filler Injections
Hyaluronic acid fillers are gaining popularity as a non-surgical option. The injections offer a non-permanent lip enhancement at a more affordable price. When proper administered, dermal fillers can last a few months up to a year. Fillers can enhance the volume of the lip, improve the lip’s shape, and smooth vertical lip lines.
- Quick treatment time (15 to 30 minutes)
- Amount of filler is customizable
- Minimal recovery time
- Improvements are immediately noticeable
- Minimal side effects
- In order to maintain results, treatments must be repeated periodically
- Optimal results are achieved with a provider who has the necessary skill and experience
- While rare, some patients are allergic to the ingredients in the fillers
Fat injections use fat which is obtains via liposuction from another are of your body for use as a lip filler. The procedure can typically be completed without incisions made on the lips or face. A qualified cosmetic surgeon should perform fat injections as the procedure requires specialized training. Fat injections can give patients an excellent and natural lip contour which can last for many years.
- Allergic reactions are highly uncommon
- Fat is naturally present in the body and not synthetic
- Incisions on the lips are not required
- Looks and feels natural
- Results can last for years and do not require repeat treatments
- A surgical component is required
- Additional treatments may be required
- Procedure needs to be performed by a specially trained and skilled cosmetic surgeon
- Results can be challenging to reverse
- Several days of downtime may be needed for recovery
Lip implants can achieve a semi-permanent results for patients who desire a longer-lasting solution and do not want ongoing required maintenance. Implants are created from a soft, pliable silicone rubber or biodegradable substance. Implants are ideal for patients who want to achieve a more noticeable lip volume enhancement.
Experienced cosmetic surgeons typically use a local anesthesia when performing lip implant surgery. The implants are inserted through small incisions which are camouflaged in the corners of the mouth.
- Results last for years
- Implant surgery can take less than 30 minutes and leave no obvious scars
- Minimal downtime is required (1-3 days on average)
- An experienced, qualified cosmetic surgeon is required to perform the procedure
- Additional surgery is required to remove the implants
- Not an effective solution for smoothing fine lines on the lips
- Surgical procedures involve the risk of infection and bleeding
More on Lip Augmentation : How Does Lip Augmentation Work?