Lake Norman Oral & Facial Surgery • Dr. Raymond J. Haigney II • 9727 Northcross Center Ct. Huntersville, NC 28078 • (704) 987-3132
9727 Northcross Center Ct. Huntersville, NC 28078 • (704) 987-3132
Wilckodontics (Periodontally Accelerated Osteogenic Orthodontics)
Wilckodontics (Periodontally Accelerated Osteogenic Orthodontics) is a field of dentistry that addresses the issue of rapid orthodontic movement through the use of interdisciplinary treatment methods that help teeth move rapidly through the bone. Accelerated Osteogenic Orthodontics TM (AOO TM ) procedure is part of the Wilckodontics® System and is a procedure that significantly reduces the time required to treat orthodontic cases by as quickly as three to eight months, which is four times faster than traditional orthodontic methods.
The AOO procedure involves the oral surgeon making incisions on the bone responsible for supporting the teeth. Next, the bone is scored, which decreases its mineral content and makes it softer. When this happens, it is much easier for the teeth to be moved to the ideal position. Following this procedure, the bone tissues will begin to harden back to their original state (this typically takes anywhere from 3 to 8 weeks). This means that the teeth have an opportunity to develop in a straight and aesthetically pleasing manner, and the bone tissue can still return to its previous strength.
At Lake Norman Oral & Facial Surgery, we offer a full range of oral and maxillofacial surgical Procedures, specializing in facial reconstruction, facial surgery, corrective jaw surgery, obstructive sleep apnea, and wisdom tooth removal. If you would like to learn more about our services, or schedule an appointment for Wilckodontics, contact us today. New patients are welcome and a referral from another doctor is not required.
The Wilckodontics Process
Prior to beginning your procedure, you will need to schedule a consultation with one of our skilled professionals, during which we will discuss what issues you would like to address. Following this conversation, an evaluation will be performed to determine what options are available to you and which approach best aligns with your specific goals. In order to be considered a good candidate for Wilckodontics, it will be necessary for patients to be in good overall health. It is also important for patients to have a clear understanding of the risks and the benefits associated with this procedure.
If it is determined that this procedure is the best approach for you, the process will begin with administration of anesthesia to ensure that no pain is experienced while the procedure is performed. Once the anesthesia has been administered and the patient is properly numbed, your periodontist will begin pulling gum tissues back to expose the teeth roots. Next, bone is grafted beneath the gums to alter how the tooth will move. The time required to make this change will be determined by the density of the tooth. Once the graft is complete, the gums are sutured shut and the traditional wire and brackets are placed on the teeth to facilitate the healing process and ensure the teeth grow straight.
Following your procedure, it is common to experience some soreness during the recovery period, which can typically be managed by OTC pain relief medication. This procedure can be performed for patients of any age, provided their gums and teeth are healthy enough to endure and benefit from the procedure.
Aftercare for the Wilckodontics Procedure
To continue enjoying the benefits of your procedure, it is essential to practice good oral health habits every day. By maintaining these regular self-care habits, you will reduce the likelihood of developing additional issues in the future and enjoy the benefits of your procedure for many years to come.
- Brushing: The best way to remove plague, prevent decay, and preserve the longevity of your procedure is to brush and clean your teeth at least twice daily. To achieve maximum results, be sure your toothbrush is the appropriate size and shape to fit your mouth and allows you to reach all areas of the mouth easily.
- Flossing: Patients who floss regularly significantly reduce the likelihood of developing periodontal disease. For patients who have an aversion to flossing, interdental cleaners may be a better alternative.
- Additional Supports: In addition to brushing and flossing every day, patients who regularly use mouth wash, avoid sweetened beverages and/or use a straw while drinking sweetened beverages, and who swish their mouth with water following every meal enjoy improved oral health and reduce the chance of developing tooth decay.
- Regular Dental Checkups: While practicing good self-care at home is critical, it is also important to schedule regular dental exams every six months. In doing so, your dentist can perform deep cleanings and address issues before they develop into something worse.
Benefits of Wilckodontics
There are a range of immediate and long-term benefits that you will enjoy following your procedure, including
- Significantly faster than traditional orthodontics
- Effective in treating even the most complex cases of malocclusion
- Carefully planned surgery means greater chance of success and increased safety
- Effective for patients of all ages
- Improved stability of your teeth
- Eliminates the need for tooth extraction
Cost of Procedure
The cost of your procedure will be determined by a variety of factors, such as the severity of your condition, any unique health issues you have that may complicate the procedure, and what type of insurance plan you have. Our office will file your claim, handle the paperwork, and ensure you maximize your insurance reimbursement. The remaining balance following your insurance coverage will be your responsibility.
Prior to performing the procedure, we will discuss the expected cost, as well as payment plan options that are available to you, such as Lending Club and Care Credit, which offer 6 and 12 month interest-free payment plans.
For your convenience, we accept MasterCard, Visa, Discover, and American Express.
Schedule Your Appointment
At Lake Norman Oral and Facial Surgery, we are committed to treating our patients the way we would expect to be treated. Because Dr. Haigney is a Board Certified Oral and Maxillofacial Surgeon, you can be confident you will receive care that implements the latest dental advancements and is informed by current research and best practices, resulting in you achieving the results you deserve.
To schedule a Wilkodontics appointment or consultation, contact our staff at (704) 255-5888 or request an appointment online