Lake Norman Oral & Facial Surgery • Dr. Raymond J. Haigney II • 9727 Northcross Center Ct. Huntersville, NC 28078 • (704) 987-3132
9727 Northcross Center Ct. Huntersville, NC 28078 • (704) 987-3132
Choose Dental Implants to Replace Missing Teeth
Dental implants are commonly recommended for patients who have lost tooth or teeth due to decay or injury. Titanium anchors are inserted into the bone and covered by a dental cap or denture. After the implant is placed, a replacement tooth or bridge is attached to it.
Patients may be good candidates for dental implants if they meet any of the following criteria:
- Want to feel comfortable and confident when you smile
- Looking for a lasting solution
- Teeth are moving into the gap left from a missing tooth or teeth
- Cannot chew your food properly, which affects how much nutrition you are getting
- Smile is incomplete
- Dentures sometimes slip out when eating our talking
- Miss eating your favorite foods
At Lake Norman Oral & Facial Surgery, we offer a full range of oral and maxillofacial surgical procedures, specializing in facial reconstruction, TMJ surgery, dental implants, facial cosmetic surgery, corrective jaw surgery, obstructive sleep apnea, and wisdom tooth removal. If you would like to learn more about our services, or schedule an appointment for Dental Implants, contact us today. New patients are welcome and a referral from another doctor is not required.
The Dental Implants Process
Prior to beginning your procedure, you will need to schedule a consultation with one of our skilled professionals, during which we will discuss what issues you would like to address. Following this conversation, an evaluation will be performed to determine what options are available to you and which approach best aligns with your specific goals.
If it is determined that dental implants are right for you, the procedure will begin with the administration of a local anesthetic. Once you are properly numbed, an incision will be made in the gum to provide your periodontist with better jawbone access. Once the jawbone is prepared, the dental implants are carefully inserted. Next, the gums are stitched up and medication is applied and time will be allowed for the jawbone to merge with the implant. When this has occurred, a follow up appointment will be scheduled and the implant will be fitted.
In cases when there is not enough adequate jawbone to support an implant, a plate form implants can be performed. This procedure involves inserting a plate implant to anchor thin jawbones.
Another implant type that we provide are subperiosteal implants. For patient’s whose jawbones are receding and for whom a permanent implant cannot be supported, subperiosteal implants can be set on the bone and be embedded in the gums. At the following visit, our cosmetic dental team exposes the jawbone and inserts the subperiosteal implant. Following this, the gums will be given a few months to naturally grow around the implant.
Caring for Dental Implants
To continue enjoying the benefits of your dental implants, it is essential to practice good oral health habits every day. By maintaining these regular self-care habits, you will reduce the likelihood of developing additional issues in the future and enjoy the benefits of your dental implants for many years to come.
- Brushing: The best way to remove plaque, prevent decay, and preserve the longevity of your Dental Implants is to brush and clean your teeth at least twice daily. To achieve maximum results, be sure your toothbrush is the appropriate size and shape to fit your mouth and allows you to reach all areas of the mouth easily.
- Flossing: Patients who floss regularly significantly reduce the likelihood of developing periodontal disease. For patients who have an aversion to flossing, interdental cleaners may be a better alternative.
- Additional Supports: In addition to brushing and flossing every day, patients who regularly use mouth wash, avoid sweetened beverages and/or use a straw while drinking sweetened beverages, and who swish their mouth with water following every meal enjoy improved oral health and reduce the chance of developing tooth decay.
- Regular Dental Checkups: While practicing good self-care at home is critical, it is also important to schedule regular dental exams every six months. In doing so, your dentist can perform deep cleanings and address issues before they develop into something worse.
Benefits of Dental Implants
There are a range of immediate and long-term benefits that you will enjoy following your dental implant procedure, including the following:
- Less expensive: If cared for properly, dental implants can last for 20+ years
- Cosmetic: Dental implants give you a more natural look, and they function like a natural tooth
- Stronger: Implants have been proven to be up to eight times stronger than normal teeth, and stronger than other restorations
- Functional: With a dental implant, patients can eat and chew normally, with no restrictions
- Less Invasive: Unlike traditional bridges, which can involve surrounding teeth and gums, dental implants will only affect the missing tooth or teeth.
Cost of Dental Implants
The cost of dental implants will be determined by a variety of factors, such as the severity of your condition, any unique oral or health issues you have that may complicate the procedure, and what type of dental insurance plan you have. Our office will file your claim, handle the paperwork, and ensure you maximize your insurance reimbursement. The remaining balance following your insurance coverage will be your responsibility.
Prior to performing the procedure, we will discuss the expected cost, as well as payment plan options that are available to you, such as Lending Club and Care Credit, which offer 6 and 12 month interest-free payment plans.
Schedule Your Appointment
At Lake Norman Oral and Facial Surgery, we are committed to treating our patients the way we would expect to be treated. Because Dr. Haigney is a Board Certified Oral and Maxillofacial Surgeon, Fellowship Trained in Facial Cosmetic & Reconstructive Surgery and Fellow of the American College of Surgeons, you can be confident you will receive care that implements the latest dental advancements and is informed by current research and best practices, resulting in you achieving the results you deserve.
To schedule a Dental Implants appointment or consultation, contact our staff at (704) 255-5888 or request an appointment online.