Lake Norman Oral & Facial Surgery • Dr. Raymond J. Haigney II • 9727 Northcross Center Ct. Huntersville, NC 28078 • (704) 987-3132
9727 Northcross Center Ct. Huntersville, NC 28078 • (704) 987-3132
Is a Brow Lift Permanent?
A brow lift huntersville nc is cosmetic surgery commonly used to treat sagging or furrowed brows. The operation can also be performed to reduce the creases that develop across the forehead and on the bridge of the nose. Brow lifts can also raise the eyebrows to achieve a more alert and youthful appearance.
Other cosmetic treatments are often performed in addition to a brow lift which can include:
- Facelift surgery: used to correct ageing changes in the mid to lower face and neck regions
- Eyelid surgery: used to rejuvenate ageing eyes
- Skin resurfacing techniques
Before you chose to proceed with brow lift surgery, some important issues to consider include:
- If your biggest concern is the area around your eyes, you may want to consider other options such as eyelid surgery
- In some cases, the results of a brow lift are permanent. The effects of ageing or major changes in weight following surgery can also impact your appearance.
- Consider the cost and your expectations. Cosmetic surgery is not typically covered by insurance.
- Patients who use tobacco are at an increased risk of complications. Patients who are serious about cosmetic surgery should work to quit smoking prior to the procedure.
Brow lift surgery typically takes about 1-2 hours to complete. Following a brow lift, the forehead may be wrapped loosely to help reduce the swelling. A small tube can also be placed along the incision site to help with draining excess blood and fluids.
As the incisions heal, you may experience some itching and numbness in the area. If the incisions are covered with bandages, your surgeon will typically remove after a few days. Sutures are typically removed within about a week of the surgery.
Your surgeon will advise when you can resume your daily activities. The swelling may be present for several weeks. The incision lines will fade and be less noticeable over time. You can use makeup to help conceal any scarring or bruising. If you experience shortness of breath, chest pain or an irregular heartbeat after a brow lift, contact your doctor right away.
It is important to follow the guidelines your surgeon provides. General recommendations for care after surgery includes:
- Follow all instructions regarding caring for your wounds
- Do not bend over for three weeks or more
- Avoid putting stress on your wounds; avoid wearing tops which you have to pull over your head
- If you have had a suture brow lift or a thread lift, avoid making facial movements when possible and avoid frowning in the initial weeks to ensure the fine threads remain in place
- Contact your surgeon right away if you experience any bleeding, extreme pain or unusual symptoms
- Take pain relief medication as directed when needed
The side effects that you may experience will depend on the type of operation you have. In general, the side effects include:
- Traditional or limited incision non-endoscopic brow lift: it may take a few months for the swelling to go away. Any scarring that occurs from the incisions is permanent, but will fade over time. Be patient as it can take up to a year for the scars to completely heal.
- Suture brow lift or thread lift: you may experience some pain, however, the discomfort is usually gone within 24 hours following surgery. You may experience some swelling and bruising for about a week to 10 days after the procedure.
It is important to remember that a brow lift does not change your fundamental appearance and it is not able to stop the natural ageing process. While the results of a brow lift are permanent, your skin will continue to age over time. Choosing a healthy lifestyle, avoiding tobacco use and reducing how much exposure you have to the sun can help extend the results of the surgery.
More on Brow Lifts : How Long Do Brow Lifts Last?