Lake Norman Oral & Facial Surgery • Dr. Raymond J. Haigney II • 9727 Northcross Center Ct. Huntersville, NC 28078 • (704) 987-3132
9727 Northcross Center Ct. Huntersville, NC 28078 • (704) 987-3132
Neck Lift Recovery
A neck lift is the perfect solution for those looking to improve a saggy neck or who want to get rid of excess skin on the neck.
A neck lift focuses on the following:
- Tightening and removing sagging skin around the neck
- Tightening loose neck muscles or neck bands
- Removing unwanted fat in the neck and below the chin
The goal of the procedure is to recreate a well-defined jaw line and reposition the soft tissues of the neck to restore a more youthful and smoother contour. In simple terms, a neck lift works to restore a youthful appearance.
Neck lifts can be an extremely rewarding procedure for those who are a good candidate. People who are healthy, in reasonable physical shape, and are at a stable weight are good candidates for a neck lift or mini neck lift. Patients who smoke, have numerous health issues and those who are not mentally prepared for surgery are not good candidates for a neck lift.
A traditional neck lift typically uses the following three components to treat an aging neck:
- Liposuction of the neck in order to eliminate excess fat from the chin and neck
- Removal of excess or sagging skin of the neck
- The tightening of the muscles in the neck. This is done by either pulling the muscles back or by suturing them together.
What to Expect During a Neck Lift Recovery
While recovering from a neck lift surgery, a bandage is typically gently placed around the face and neck in order to minimize swelling and bruising once the procedure is complete.
A thin tube may be placed to help drain and remove excess blood or fluid which can collect below the skin during your recovery.
The surgeon will also provide you with specific instructions that might include the following:
- How to care for the surgical site and any drains
- Restrictions and modifications while recovering from the procedure
- Which medications to apply or take orally to aid in the healing process, minimize pain and reduce risk for infection
- Specific concerns to look for at the surgical site or in your general health and when to follow up with your plastic surgeon
It is also important to keep your head elevated above your heart. This helps to minimize any swelling. You should also keep your head straight and avoid excessive twisting or bending of the neck as this can create complications. It is important to not apply ice to the neck because it can compromise the blood flow and result in skin death.
A neck lift can last a lifetime, however, you will continue to age after the procedure. It is important to remember that you will appear younger than if you had not undergone the procedure. In addition, the procedure should not make your neck appear tight, overdone or abnormal in any way. The goal of the surgery is to give you neck a lift which results in a smoother and more youthful appearance which will last as you age.