What Does Lip Augmentation Mean?
A huntersville lip augmentation is a cosmetic procedure which offers patients plumper and fuller lips. In most cases, an injectable dermal filler is used for the procedure. There are various different types of dermal fillers which can be used, but the most common fillers currently used for lip augmentations contain substances similar to hyaluronic acid. Hyaluronic acid is a substance which naturally exists in the body and aids in increasing the volume of your lips.
Another common dermal filler is Collagen, which is used less frequently. Modern products are safer and provide effects which last longer. Other methods used to plump the lips include fat injections and implants. These methods are not used as frequently as the results can vary and there chance of experiencing side effects increases.
Hyaluronic Acid Fillers
Hyaluronic acid fillers enhance the appearance of your lips by improving their shape, structure and overall volume. For most patients, the effects from the procedure last about six months. Once the improvements wear off, additional injections are required.
There are numerous hyaluronic acid fillers available. Some of the most popular products include the following:
- Belotero Balance
- Juvederm (Ultra, Ultra Plus, Volbella XC)
- Prevelle Silk
- Restylane, Restylane-L, Restylane Silk
Each of the above products are injected using the same methods and offer similar results. Some of the products contain lidocaine, which is a local anesthetic.
Hyaluronic Acid Filler Benefits
Once the product is injected, the gel within the filler provides support and shape to the lip tissues. The benefits of using hyaluronic acid fillers are summarized below.
- Lip volume control: It is possible to control the amount of product which is injected. This gives the doctor more control over the amount of lip volume
- Gradual treatment: The doctor can administer the injections gradually over numerous appointments to ensure the desired outcome is achieved
- Bumps are easily dissolved: Any bumps or lumps which can be created from movement of the lips, can be easily dissolved
- Minimal bruising: Compared to other dermal fillers, there is typically less bruising and swelling
- Long-lasting results: While the results are not permanent, they last for a reasonably long time
- Allergic reactions: Because hyaluronic acid fillers are created from substances which naturally exist in the body, allergic reactions are uncommon. Patients who are allergic to lidocaine, should share this with their doctor prior to treatment
A lip augmentation can be performed rather quickly in the doctor's office with virtually little to no downtime. Fat injections, however are the exception as they require a small area of liposuction for removal of fat from another area of the body prior to the injection.
A topical or local numbing agent is often applied prior to the injections in order to minimize any pain or discomfort. In some cases, a nerve block injection can be administered prior to the treatment which completely numbs the area. Placing ice on the lips prior to the injections can also aid in numbing the area, in addition to helping prevent swelling and bruising. Once the areas to be injected are precisely marked, extremely fine needles are used to inject product into the lips.
Once the injection is complete, ice may be used to help with any discomfort and minimize any swelling. It is important, however, to avoid applying firm pressure on the treatment area.
It is best to avoid the use of lipstick or other types of lip products immediately following the procedure. The improvements should be noticeable right away and once the lips are healed, they should feel completely natural.
More on Lip Augmentation : Are Lip Implants Safe?