What is Juvederm Used For?
Juvederm is a family of injectable dermal fillers which contain hyaluronic acid. The fillers are used to correct moderate to severe facial wrinkles or folds and last about 9-12 months on average. They can also be used for lip augmentation.
Juvederm products are a smooth consistency gel, opposed to some hyaluronic gel products which are normally more granular in their consistency. Juvederm products were developed with the use of Hylacross technology. This results in a smoother and more malleable gel product. Hyaluronic acid is actually a naturally occurring sugar which is naturally found in the body. Hyaluronic acid is effective because it holding in water at the injection site and acts as a cushioning agent. It can add temporary volume and give the skin a smoother appearance. To achieve the desired results, most patients need more than a single treatment.
Juvederm also has an XC product line. The XC products contain the local anesthetic lidocaine which numbs the treatment area within seconds and results in a more comfortable injection. The Juvederm Ultra XC products contain more highly cross-linked formulations which are used to add volume and correct more severe folds and wrinkles.
The Juvederm products are each specially designed to meet particular needs based on the area of the face being treated. These products include:
- Juvederm Volbella XC: used to treat the lips and area around the lips to add subtle volume and smooth vertical lip lines
- Juvederm Ultra XC: also used for the lip area and surrounding tissue; designed to add more fullness compared to Juvederm Volbella XC
- Juvederm Voluma XC: for the cheek area. Gives a subtle lift which increases volume and contours the cheeks
- Juvederm XC: created for moderate to severe facial folds and wrinkles
- Juvederm Vollure XC: also used for moderate and severe facial wrinkles or folds. Usually lasts longer than Juvederm XC
Juvederm Injections and Pain
Some patients experience slight discomfort during and after the injection. Juvederm is injected into the skin using a very small needle. Juvederm products contain the local anesthetic lidocaine which aids in reducing any discomfort during the injection. Some doctors choose to numb the area before the injection. Your doctor will discuss your options with you before completing the procedure and will also communicate any possible side effects.
Within the first 24 hours after the injections, patients should avoid the following:
- Vigorous exercise
- Exposure to the sun and heat
- Consuming alcoholic beverages
Exposure to any of the above items can result in temporary redness, swelling, and itching near the injection area. If swelling occurs, an ice pack should be placed over the area that is swollen. Following the procedure, your doctor will advise how long you need to wait before applying make-up.
Results with a Juvederm treatment are not permanent. Patients will need follow up injections within about 9 months to a year to maintain their results. In most cases, smaller injections of about half the original amount are needed for the follow-up procedure.
The alternative treatments which can be used to correct facial wrinkles and folds include the following:
- Bovine-based collagen
- Chemical peels
- Facial creams
- Laser skin surface treatments
- Other brands of hyaluronic acid-based dermal fillers