Lake Norman Oral & Facial Surgery • Dr. Raymond J. Haigney II • 9727 Northcross Center Ct. Huntersville, NC 28078 • (704) 987-3132
9727 Northcross Center Ct. Huntersville, NC 28078 • (704) 987-3132
A facelift is a surgery which can aid in improving the signs of aging that are commonly seen on the face and neck.
- It is critical to select a trained, board-certified plastic surgeon to perform your face lift. This ensures a level of expertise, education and training.
- There are potential risks, as there are with any surgery. Some of the risks include anesthesia complications, infection, numbness, scarring, blood clots and cardiac complications. Be sure to talk to your doctor regarding the risks and possible benefits. This will help you make an informed decision regarding whether surgery is the right solution for you.
- Where you are located can sometimes determine your access to a trained, board-certified surgeon.
- The surgery is completed at a surgical center or hospital. Patients typically go home the same day.
- The expected recovery time is about two to four weeks.
- Based on information from the American Board of Cosmetic Surgery, the average cost of a facelift is about $7,700.00 to $11,780.00.
- In some cases, it may require multiple surgeries in order to achieve the desired results.
- The full results of the procedure are visible once the bruising and swelling go down.
- Patients who take good care of their skin and maintaining healthy lifestyle are able to extend the results of the facelift.
As we age, our skin naturally loses its elasticity, which can result in sagging and wrinkles. A facelift, which is also called rhytidectomy, is a surgical procedure used to lift and tighten facial tissues. A facelift can also involve the removal of excess skin, smoothing out wrinkles and tightening facial tissue. It does not include a brow or an eye lift. These procedures are sometimes completed at the same time with a facelift. A facelift focuses on the bottom area of the face and can also include the neck. Patients who are good candidates for facelifts are:
- Healthy and don’t have medical conditions which may interfere with the healing or recovery
- Not smokers and don’t abuse substances
- Realistic with their expectations of the procedure
Average Facelift Costs
In 2017, the American Society of Plastic Surgeons reported that the average cost of a facelift was $7,448. This cost does not include hospital or surgical center costs or anesthesia. The overall cost for the procedure may be higher. The cost will also vary based on your desired results, the expertise of the surgeon and your location.
When completing a facelift, the surgeon will reposition fat and tissue under the skin. This is done to help eliminate creases, remove excess skin which can cause jowls and lift and tighten the face.
The procedure for a facelift varies depending on the desired results. In most cases, an incision is made in the hairline close to the temples. The incision begins at the front of the ear, moves down in front of the earlobe and then back to the lower scalp behind the ears.
Fat and any extra skin is then removed and/or redistributed. The underlying muscle and connective tissues are also redistributed and tightened.
In the event that a neck lift is also being performed, the extra skin and fat will be removed. The skin of the neck is then tightened and pulled up and back. This is often completed through an incision located just below the chin. The surgeon often uses dissolvable sutures or skin glue to close the incision. If traditional sutures are used, you will return to the surgeon in order to have stitches removed. The incisions are intentionally created to blend in with your hairline and facial structure.
More info on Facelifts : How Long Does a Facelift Last?